10 Stories to Make a Difference Contest
In January 2021 Pop Up Projects celebrates 10 years of transforming children’s lives through literature. To mark this special occasion, we’re commissioning and publishing Ten Stories to Make a Difference: ten original short stories for young readers by ten writers and ten illustrators.
Each story will explore or touch on the theme of difference. Stories can be inspired by the subject in any way – they might explore diversity or transformation, otherness or other worlds – wherever the writers and illustrators want to go! Each story will be 10 pages long, between 750 and 3,000 words, professionally edited and art directed, beautifully designed and lovingly hand-printed in a special small print-run limited edition. They’ll be launched at our 10th birthday party, and sold as part of our campaign to raise £1million to engage 100,000 more young readers, writers and illustrators over the next five years.
Pop Up will pick three winning entries to take forward, Each winning entrant will:
- Receive a £500 fee for their story
- Be matched with a published children’s illustrator, who will illustrate their story
- Get time with a publishing editor and art director to perfect their story
- Be published in a short print run, and receive 10 copies of their book
- Feature in a major promotional campaign as well as at Pop Up’s 10th birthday party